Thursday, January 1, 2009

MY FERAL CAT named KITTY by d-artist

HOW IT CAME ABOUT saving this kitty's life!


Our Feral cats name is "Kitty" she came into our lives on a drizzly cold day Sept. 2007...she visited our second floor deck to eat the seeds out of a bird dish. As I opened the door and she flew off the deck, I realized she was scared of humans. Everyday I left scrapes of food outside in the hopes she would come back...two days later she did and devoured every bit, again I left scrapes, she continuing to come back everyday, although sheepishly.

The first snow came, we made a place for her to go and eat...my husband took a large cardboard box cut out an opening lined it with straw and towels, placing food inside she started to sleep in there, even once finding her mother in there.

We had a record brutal 2007 winter, seeing this kitty everyday in that cold was heartbreaking. We built another fortress for her, all brick around the box to keep it warmer. I would heat up a beanbag in the micro, wrapping it with a towel placing it in the box to keep her warm, yes she used it.

After a month she started to sit in front of the window of our patio doors looking in, even stepping up on the sill to look in and meow... I should say "meew" such a little voice! Her little paws where so cold she alternated holding them up. Everyday we cleared a path on the deck and stairs so she could get to her box. I placed paper and towels in the area she sat so she would not be wet from the snow...she ate anything I left. At times it was below 20 degrees with the wind-chill if not lower, her shivering couldn't keep any weight on her, so much energy was used just shivering. She even had a cold and coughed, that's when I made sure the beanbag was always there for heating her up.

After Christmas she became friendlier and only ran to the top of the stairs when we opened the door, after awhile she came up to the door when opened and even climbing on my husbands lap while on the floor. One time she came in and the door closed behind her, I had told my hubby, don't let the door shut, she will panic! yep she did panic, and tore my plants down trying to get out...hubby had to clean it up!

She became more familiar with us and started to trust us, allowing us to pet her and pick her up (that is unusual for a feral cat) The first time I picked her up I held her in my arms talking low and assuring her. I made a short video of her on hubbies lap playing with his sweatshirt pull, see Video. Click here or on the title to see the rest of the lens

No comments: