Friday, March 6, 2009

subcutaneous treatment number 1 by fredsamuels

It says he's not that old, but it often is needed with old cats with kidney failure. Something I had to do for months with Emma

I am posting this video to give others the courage to give their cat a subcutaneous treatment. I was really dreading it, but as it turned out, it wasn't too bad. I made three errors: 1 - not knowing how to twist the old needle off. 2 - not turning the flow off before pulling the needle out. 3 - not using the same plastic cap for the old needle that it came with. Also: four helpful hints. 1 - every time you do a treatment, move the plastic "cut off" wheel to a different area of the plastic tube, so it won't damage the line or let it leak. 2 - When inserting the end of the line into the drip bag, make sure you push it all the way in to avoid leakage. 3 - Use a box cut short and the end cut mostly out, with a soft warm weaving or towel in it to be your secound "pair" of hands to help contain your kitty and keep him or her in place. 4 - Use a bowl of warm water to put the line in if needed, so the fliud isn't too cold going in. Good luck and when you get that feeling of apprehension, overcome it with a feeling of determination to get the job done.
I created this series of videos to help others administer to their loved ones.... their cats, in the hope that it will help them set up

the subcutaneous treatments and also to give them the courage to do

it. I am by no means a veternarian and don't claim to be... as you

can see. I just love my baby and will do everything in my power...

which isn't much, to extend his life. He isn't even 4 years old yet.

And this great spirit has been sentenced to death by inheriting

polycystic kidney diease. I don't do it for me, but for him.... he's

always trusted me with his life and we have a very special

relationship. So this is the first of seven videos to set up the

procedure, and then the first treatment done with no training, just

research on you tube, thanks to the videos, and they are:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4Ta537YEOU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmaNe1YaUrk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9zoiI_KRrk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyYiE6jlOVQ

No comments: